Read the full October 2017 newsletter here, and subscribe to future editions.
In this issue:
- Smart Defense Has a New Name! The newly-rechristened Innovative Solutions in Public Defense Initiative is a featured component of BJA’s Innovation Suite.
- Alameda County Update and Site Visit. The relocation of arraignmentsto the new courthouse in Dublin undermined defender efforts.
- Westchester County Attorney Mentoring. A year-long program to mentor attorneys in indigent defense best practices recently kicked off.
- Contra Costa County Update. The county’s Misdemeanor Early Release Program shows progress in reducing failure-to-appear rates.
- Wisconsin Site Visit. Defenders demonstrate the impact of the Research, Analysis, and Mining Project as the program winds down.
- Projects Featured at National Convenings. Innovative Solutions in Public Defense takes the limelight at various trainings and conferences
- NLADA Selected as TTA Provider for BJA Sixth Amendment National Initiatives Solicitation. A new grant will assist jurisdictions in building capacity for enhancing and securing Sixth Amendment rights.